Since I have not been a blog writer for very long, I don't have any words of wisdom to share about how to get other people to follow your blog or how to make money from it. But, Kelly at http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/ is asking us to share blogging tips, so I will try. Since I have been a blog reader for years, I will share what I think you should NOT do on your blog, from a reader's viewpoint. I look forward to reading all of your responses about this subject!
* Don't choose a heavily decorated background, and then write your words on top of it. It is just too hard to read, and with so many blogs out there to choose from, if yours is too hard to read....I'm not going to read it.
* Don't write in other colors. It hurts my eyes.
* Don't write in long, rambling paragraphs. Same reason.
* Don't write like you are writing a paper. Yes, I know that is the "proper" way to do it, but it is not pleasant to read. Be sure to space often!
* Don't write things in detail that you wouldn't want read in public. Remember, your blog can be read WORLD WIDE, unless you have it private. If you are writing about what a crazy old bat your dear Aunt Suzie is, and Aunt Suzie reads it....that could be bad.
* Don't write things to purposely embarrass your family and friends. Would you want them to write that about you? Think before you type!
* Don't keep your pictures turned sideways. It is too hard to see them.
* Don't post what you are doing or going to do every single minute of the day. Some people may care about that, but that is certainly not why I would want to read your blog. It is OK to do an occasional post about your day, but when that is the only you thing you do, it gets rather tedious to read.
* Don't only post about reviews or give aways, unless that is the main purpose of your blog.
* Do make your site as easy to see and read as possible.
* Do comment on other blogs. Other people like to get comments as much as you do!
* Do post pictures, and not just words. It is interesting to look at pictures.
* Do try to post at least once a week. If I am following your blog, and you don't post for a while, I will get tired of following you and seeing.....nothing.
* Do try to be kind when you are posting a comment on a blog. If you have something to say that is not kind, send them a private message. No need to be nasty! Remember, if you don't agree with what someone is saying, you are not being forced to read them. *Smile*
Hope this helps!